Saturday, December 9, 2006

On Experience

Although I believe experience to be a worthy attribute necessary for any human with a desire to grow. I also see it as exponentially subjective in that in some arenas I would be considered an expert of sorts, yet in others only a novice. However, it is still undeniable that I do indeed have plenty of experience in a variety of areas. Therefore, what is the value of experience? The difficulty lies within the choice, (as difficulty so often does) of what particular attribute should be highlighted.
If I consider the 12 plus years I have spent in the world of antiques, I can easily find a great deal of information smashed into those vintage drawers of my brain. But, what’s it worth? This is the most common question directed to the antique dealer, and a question that reflects my feelings toward the knowledge stored in those drawers I mentioned, for if I am not among others in the field or being hounded by those who seek my advice then what is this particular experience worth? Not much. The same goes for the 7 years I spent in specialty retail management. Here I am seen as driven, dedicated, and dependable, an asset capable of creating huge assets -- although not for my own bank accounts. Is this really a valuable or worthy attribute? Perhaps it’s marketable, but it’s not all that worthy. Therefore, it seems experience is not as valuable as it first appears. Then again, perhaps the problem is not with the experience itself, but rather in the kind of experiences we focus on and to what degree we understand the universal experiences that are most often deemed valuable.
A rich person is one who demonstrates both an interest in, and a great deal of empathy towards others. Someone who has used their experiences to shape their understanding of themselves and the role they play in the world. Rather than narrowing our pursuits to please some ambiguous outline of expectation, we should attempt to determine what is important to our sense of self and our deeper identity. The true value of any experience rests in the understanding, both of ourselves and of those we come into contact with, both intimately and superficially. The interactions we have with others throughout our lives are at the heart of who we become, which ultimately is the most valuable experience available.